Analytics

Thursday 20 May 2010

To colour-code or not?

A big thanks to everyone who reads the Stone174 blog. As the van goes in for interior work in a week or two, my mind is planning further down the line...

And that's where you come in. I'd love your comments on whether to colour-code or not.

The van as it currently stands with dark grey plastic bumpers:

Some vans look really well with the addition of a Caravelle front bumper (the route I'd like to go down):


Instantly it has made the van more 'car-like' and less like a plumber's van (no-offence meant to plumbers btw!).

So why does this Stone Blue colour-coded van not look quite right?



Is it the lack of alloys?

Should they have left the mirrors black?
Too much chrome?
Amber side repeaters?
Is the Sportline chin a step too far?

Or is Stone Blue just not a colour that lends itself to the 'all-over' treatment?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

6 comments:

  1. It looks plastic.

    I reckon you could get a good look with blue and white (still might be plastic), or my preference which is blue and black. You'd have to pick which bits to make black of course.

    I think black mirrors and a black stripe down the lowest section of the side above the side bars would break it up a bit.

    Try photo shopping and come up with some options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Blakey, I'll definitely be keeping it to just blue and black (not much chrome) and will ultimately unleash the Photoshop - after all, it is what I do for a living!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard, put a bit of thought to this, because to be honest I'm not very convinced by the stone blue van with the "Sportline" look.
    If I was you I would wait until you have the new wheels on, stand back and take stock, I think Transporters can look pretty good with the grey bumpers. If you like the idea of the "tough" look have a look at the matching grey nudge bar set up at Van-X?
    I think patience is the key here (I speak from experience!) Your new wheels could change your thoughts completely.

    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Evan,
    I won't be doing anything until the wheels are on and yes, I agree, that Sportline chin does nothing for the looks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another few thoughts....The van in the pic might just look a hell a lot better if it had alloys! and these are my idea's regarding trim - chrome looks great against dark colours
    dark trim looks great against light colours
    That van could look amazing with smoked lights/side indicators - "Caravelle" style bumpers - ABT type styling giving a dark grill - coloured mirrors - dark alloys & dark glass, you get the idea ~ Hey I've just spent a lot of your money :-D

    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Evan - we seem to be on the same wavelength! The wheels will be dark - as you may have seen in earlier blog posts - and chrome will be kept to an absolute minimum. I also have a set of 'Caravelle' headlights to go in when the front bumper is off.
    I'm grateful of your opinions as it is quite a big expense and definitely one I want to get right first time!

    ReplyDelete